Monday, March 16, 2009

come into my parlor


Every time I do a wardrobe remix post, I have to rearrange my furniture so I can get a head to toe shot with an uncluttered background. Megan and Ambika have expressed their curiosity regarding my home decor, so I decided that the best way for me to show off my cluttered little apartment would be to revisit the Hinterland Who's Who idea and camouflage myself in my natural habitat. One. Room. At. A. Time.



The green and yellow floral cluster hanging from the ceiling is Tord Boontje's Midsummer Light. I adore this design and own several! The velvet victorian style love seat and chair came out west with me from Ontario six years ago. The brocade victorian chair was found a few years back at the Salvation Army near my work; it's such a perfect match with the velvet chair. One of Dawn's Jack Rabbit Love Creatures lives on the brocade chair. He occasionally hops to another chair, but he's mostly here. I found the coffee table at the Salvation Army near my work for fifteen dollars! It has tiny brass claw feet! The book case is from the late 1800s, and we're babysitting it for Shane's sister while she's in Toronto... oh wait! She came back almost two years ago... and we still have it. I guess it belongs to us now!


The landscape, that you're all familiar with, was found in the scary basement of my neighborhood Salvation Army. When I bought it there was a hole in it, the stretcher was broken in two places and someone had drawn a UFO in the top left corner (I still had to talk them down to a reasonable price). I fixed it up and found a frame that fit it perfectly the next day!



More old furniture! The chairs used to be that hideous brown with speckles that was popular in the late 1970s before I redid them... oh wait! There's some right there, under the TV! I'll probably end up painting the end tables at some point. We even have a matching coffee table that I am dying to repurpose! Right now it's just taking up space. I don't know if you noticed the sponge painting behind the TV. It came with the apartment. We were told that we were not allowed to paint, but I cannot live in a space with "apartment beige" walls so I painted the one wall and hoped for the best. Luckily we didn't get in trouble for it (it's a heritage colour!)... I'm still hiding the bedroom paint! Anyhow, I bought wallpaper for that wall, but then couldn't figure out how to make it temporary. They need to make post-it glue for apartment wallpaper! I will eventually get around to doing this, but until then it's little sponge painted clouds.




I collect many things, including animal theme ceramics (mostly Japanese from the 1950s) and they're scattered around the apartment, but most reside here.


This is how small my living room is. I can fit the entire thing in one photograph. I'm not using any trick photography or wide angle lenses here. It is THAT small. It's cozy and perfect, but I think we could use a bit more storage for our books and stacks of dvds... the piles are kind of ridiculous at this point! I'm waiting for the perfect shelf to come along.


sweater: thrifted
sleeveless blouse: thrifted
skirt: thrifted
black tights: the bay
turquoise over the knee fishnets: I'm not sure
shoes: camper