Friday, December 19, 2008

the weather outside is frightful


We're experiencing a bit of a cold snap out here on the west coast. It's snowed for days and has been actually cold enough for it to last! Today was the coldest of the last few days and our heating system was struggling to say the least. Vancouver is in Canada, but it doesn't actually ever get the classic Canadian winters. This is one of the reasons why I moved here. I freaking hate winter. The cold is too much for my bony frame to withstand! I dressed in layers today. If you want to know the extent of layers you can click here.

I wasn't brave enough to venture outside, so I stayed in and decorated a bit more for Christmas. I fixed the tree problems and made some Christmas pillows! I know, I know, I am one step away from breaking out the Christmas sweaters! But that will have to wait for another post...

I didn't mean to buy so many extra ornaments for the tree. I bought the lights which I needed, and then they had this glass bead garland on sale that I just couldn't say no to (but didn't even use in the end) and then I found these amazing almost florescent pink glass ornaments and the opaque blue ones at the thrift store, so I couldn't just leave them there either... I'm going to have a bit of a storage issue come January, but just look at this glorious tree! It's perfect!


I also added a few ornaments to my totally fake and totally Christmassy red pine garland!


Finally, I made four new pillows! Two are made from the velvet I used to upholster my chairs backed with a mint green cashmere wool, and the other two are pillow panels from the archives. I bought these when I worked at the fabric store, so they are at least twelve years old! Crazy! I still remember that they were from a collection called "vienna" because they are loosely based on Gustav Klimt design elements.