Tuesday, October 7, 2008

snow white syndrome


When I was a child I would raid my mum's closet and play dress up all the time! I practically lived in her closet! She used to have this magical 70s maxi dress with a big bold floral print skirt, a great big white peter pan collar and puffy swiss dot sleeves (!) that I would put on to go pick flowers in the back yard. I had the requisite Dorothy Hamill doo of the 80s and would tie a red ribbon around my head to add to the authenticity of the task at hand of frolicking through fields and singing to birds.

I remember my mum freaking out one day (probably with concern over my mental state) and telling me that I was "NOT SNOW WHITE, YOU KNOW!" She denies this ever happened, but I know it did and I know that she just feels guilty about yelling at a little girl. In retrospect, I suppose she did have cause for concern. I am now in my thirties and doing things like posing in costume with my garden gnome, and naming my business after the apple that did Snow White in...


I made this cotton velveteen skirt a few years ago and it's still one of my favourites! I always wear it when I want to be cozy and a bit theatrical. It reminds me so much of my Snow White days! The embroidery is based on the Glasgow Rose or Mackintosh Rose designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh back at the turn of the century. It's a pretty iconic Arts and Crafts reference that I think still looks modern to this day... and that concludes your history lesson for today.