Wednesday, July 22, 2009

soft shoe


I guess I've fallen victim to all that 1930s tap dance chorus imagery that's floating around the internets these days, because all I could think of was that I needed to do a little soft shoe routine set to some swingin' variation of tea for two in this little get-up. I think it was the ribbon necktie that threw me over the deep end into tap territory. It just added that little bit of nautical jazz to a dress that usually looks far more ballet than anything. I can't help but feel like Degas' Little Dancer Aged Fourteen when I'm wearing this soft and drapey peach thing. I was once serenaded with a drunken frat-boy rendition of tiny dancer when I was out in this outfit. Classic!


Yesterday I came across these heart shaped sunglasses for cheap, so I bought two pairs to relive my youth! I had a red pair when I was ten that were my pride and joy... until I lost them. Now I can be as stylish as I was at ten years old! All I need now is a pair of roller skates!



dress: industry (I added a navy satin ribbon)
linen shorts: bedo
lacy socks: I've had them since the 1990s (I think they're either DKNY or CK)
shoes: thrifted
heart shaped glasses: urban planet
original intent earings #81: sulu designs on etsy


(these are both Susan's photos)
I don't think I've ever raved about Susan's Original Intent series here before (but she knows how much I love her creations). I just think that it is the most brilliant idea ever! Susan takes gorgeous photos of ordinary things and turns them into the most extraordinary earrings! All earrings in the Original Intent series are based on a photograph of some colour combination or texture that has inspired her. I wish she included a copy of the photograph that inspired the earrings! I've been trying to convince her, but she remains skeptical! It's art! Of course people would appreciate seeing what inspired their new jewels. I think that in the context of art the photograph elevates an already gorgeous pair of earrings to a whole other level! She has a few Original Intent earrings in her shop right now, amongst some other beauties! Susan has such a talent for beautiful, modern jewelry and I am constantly talking myself out of buying her entire stock!